Back to the home page
List of selected talks (mainly invited). The full list is provided in my cv.
- "The Explanatory Problems of Deep Learning" at Deep Meetings Seminars, Department of Computer Science, University of Turin, 18 January 2018.
- Invited talk (invitee Dr. Erik T. Mueller, now at Capital One, ex-IBM Watson Team, USA) "Types and Levels of Knowledge (with Implications for Learning and Reasoning)" at IJCAI 2017 Cognitum Workshop, Melbourne, Australia, August 20, 2017.
- Invited Panel Participation (invitee Dr. Erik T. Mueller "Panel discussion – Can Deep Learning Scale up to High-Level Cognition? " at IJCAI 2017 Cognitum Workshop, Melbourne, Australia, August 20, 2017. Panelists: Anthony G. Cohn (University of Leeds), Mary-Anne Williams (University of Technology Sydney) and myself.
- Invited Lecture (invitee: Prof. Alexei Samsonovich, George Mason University, USA and NRNU MEPhI, Department of Cybernetics, Russia). Title of the talk: "Knowledge Representation in Cognitive Architectures: Current Limitations and Open Challenges", Moscow, Russia, International Early Research Career Enhancement School on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures, August 2, 2017.
- Invited talk (invitee Prof. Mehul Bhatt, University of Bremen, Germany) "Cognitive Design: Some Perspectives in Artificial Intelligence" at Co-Design 2017, University of Bremen, Germany, Department of Computer Science, June 8, 2017.
- "Intelligenza Artificiale e Chatbot (Tavola Rotonda)" at the Logic, Language and Cognition Center, University of Turin, May 29, 2017.
- "Levels of Representation in Cognitive Architectures: the role of Conceptual Spaces" at the Logic, Language and Cognition Center, University of Turin, January 12, 2017.
- Invited talk (invitee Prof. Alessandro Saffiotti, Örebro University, Sweden): "Penguins and Polar Bears: A Hybrid Representational and Reasoning Approach for Common Sense Categorization" at the School of Science and Technology, University of Örebro, Sweden, September 13 2016.
- Invited talk (invitee Prof. Peter Gärdenfors, Lund University, Sweden): "Dual Peccs: A Cognitive System for Conceptual Categorization and Reasoning" at the Cognitive Science Series Seminar, Lund University, Sweden, August 31 2016.
- "Extending the Knowledge Level in Cognitive Architectures with Conceptual Spaces", Conceptual Spaces at Work 2016, Stockholm, Sweden, August 24-27 2016. The video of the talk is available below or at this link.
- Invited talk at the International School on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures held in Moscow (Russia) from April 21-24 2016. The school is organized and sponsored by the Russian Science Foundation (RSF) and by the BICA Society.
Invitee: Prof. Alexei Samsonovich (George Mason University, USA and NRNU MEPhI, Department of Cybernetics, Russia). Title of the talk: "Computational Explanation in BICA". The video of the talk is available on the Vimeo Channel of the BICA Society or can be watched below.
- Invited talk (invitee Prof. Antonis Kakas, University of Cyprus): "Towards which Intelligence ? Cognition as Design Key for building Artificial Intelligent Systems', at ESCOP 2015 19th Conference of the European Society for Cognitive Psychology. Official Symposium 'Bridging Cognitive Psychology and Artificial Intelligence', Paphos, Cyprus, September 17-20 2015.
Other invited speakers of this symposium were: Prof. Peter Gärdenfors, Prof. Pat Langley. Link: http://www.escop2015.org/list-of-accepted-symposia
- Invited talk (invitee Prof. Francesco Stella, University of Siena): "Steps Towards Cognitive Narrative Machines", Symposium: The Mechanic Muse, organized by the University of Siena, 12-13 June 2015, Siena (Certosa di Pontignano), Italy.
- "Categorizzazione basata su Prototipi ed Esemplari mediante l'integrazione di Spazi Concettuali e Ontologie in una Architettura Cognitiva", Senso Comune Workshop 2015, ISTC-CNR, Rome, Italy, 31 March 2015.
- "Il sistema Labyrinth: archetipi narrativi e ontologie per l’ editoria multimediale", Notte dei Ricercatori, 26 September 2014, Torino. (poster presentation + demo), with R. Damiano.
- "Ontological Representations and Narrative: A Case Study in Cultural Heritage", SIG IAOA Design Semantics Workshop 2014, University of Bari, Italy, 29th Jun 2014 - 2nd July 2014.
- Invited talk (invitee: Ph.D. Silvano Zipoli Caiani, University of Milan, Department of Philosophy): "Concepts: on the need of an integrated perspective in AI", Neurophilosophy Seminar, University of Milan, Italy, 17th April 2014.
- "Attacking the Typicality Problem by Coupling Conceptual Spaces and Ontologies", Senso Comune Workshop 2014, ISTC-CNR, Trento, Italy, 25th March 2014.
- Invited talk (invitee: Prof. Christian Freksa, University of Bremen, Cognitive Systems Group): A cognitive approach for modeling and reasoning on common sense knowledge in computational ontologies", Spatial Cognition Colloquium Workshop, University of Bremen, Germany, 7 March 2014.
- "Concepts, Perception and the Dual Process Theory of Mind" at 9th International Symposium of Cognition, Logic and Communication: Perception and Concepts, Riga, Latvia, 17 May 2013. (slides), with M.Frixione.
- Invited talk: (invitee: Prof. Ismo Koponen, University of Helsinki): "Concepts, (Formal) Ontologies and Conceptual Change" at ConChaMo4 workshop, Helsinki, Finland, 22 February 2013. A summary of the talks given at the workshop is available on the blog "Cognitive Systems"
- "Formal Ontologies and Semantic Technologies: A Dual Process Proposal for Concept Representation", CLMPS 11, 14 th Congress of Logic Methodology and Philosophy of Science, University of Nancy, France. July 19-26 2011. With M. Frixione.
- "Concept Representation in Formal Ontologies: A Dual Process Proposal", LRR10 Conference on Logic, Reasoning and Rationality, University of Ghent, Belgium. 20-22 September 2010. With M. Frixione.
- "Manual vs Semi-Automatic Approaches to the Ontology Building", Reasoning Web 2009, University of Bolzano-Brozen, Brixen-Bressanone, Italy. 30 august - 2 sett. 2009.
- "A Web Based Ontology for Energy Domain", MIS Department (Management of Information System Department), Haifa University, Israel. 18 june 2008.
(* in international conferences).
Back to the home page